A rich and creamy Peppermint White Hot Chocolate made with cacao butter, dairy-free milk, sweetener and a touch of peppermint extract. This wholesome vegan white hot chocolate recipe is perfect for the holidays.
Keep this recipe on hand for a cold winter day when you’re craving a healthier sweet drink. It’s made with a few simple ingredients and can be adjusted easily based on what you have on and or your desired sweetness.
To make this 100% dairy-free/vegan this white hot chocolate uses raw cacao butter and maple syrup to create homemade white chocolate. If you can get your hands on dairy-free white chocolate, feel free to substitute the raw cacao and maple syrup for a few tablespoons of the white chocolate. Whichever method you choose, this is a rich and creamy cozy beverage you’ll be making over and over again.
Ingredients in Vegan White Hot Chocolate
- Dairy-free milk – cashew milk, almond milk or dairy-free milk of choice. I like full-fat almond or cashew milk as the higher fat content in the milk makes for a more rich and creamy hot chocolate.
- Cacao butter – this healthy fat gives the hot chocolate the rich, creamy white chocolate taste
- Maple syrup – added for sweetness since raw cacao isn’t sweetened. Adjust the maple syrup to your desired sweetness!
- Peppermint extract – a touch of peppermint extract goes a long way and compliments the white chocolate for a sweet and minty drink.
What is Cacao Butter?
Cacao butter is the pure, cold-pressed oil of the cacao bean. It’s the base of chocolate and solid at room temperature just like chocolate.. It is a great healthy fat easily absorbed by the body and loaded with anti oxidants. Plus by making this hot chocolate from scratch you are avoiding any gums, lecithin, flavors and added sugars in store bought chocolate and white chocolate flavored drinks.
What Can I use in place of Cacao Butter
Cacao butter and maple syrup create homemade white chocolate. Feel free to use 1-2 tablespoons of white chocolate chips in place of both. Keep in mind, most white chocolate contains dairy. Evolved makes dairy-free white chocolate sweetened with monk fruit.
How to Make Dairy-Free Peppermint Hot Chocolate
This recipe could be more simple. Once you gather your ingredients, place them in a saucepan and warm over medium-high heat. The white hot chocolate is ready when is barely starts to simmer and the cacao butter has melted. Make sure to stir occasionally. Once you’re ready, pour into a cup and add any toppings of choice. You can’t go wrong with a little coconut whipped cream or marshmallows.
More Warm and Cozy Beverages:
If you make this vegan peppermint white hot chocolate be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe below. I’d love to hear from you, and it encourages others to make the recipe too.Print
Vegan Peppermint White Hot Chocolate
A rich and creamy dairy-free Peppermint White Hot Chocolate made with cacao butter, dairy-free milk, sweetener and a touch of peppermint extract. This wholesome vegan peppermint hot chocolate recipe is perfect for the holidays.
- 1 1/2 cups almond, cashew or dairy-free milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao butter (see notes)
- 1–3 teaspoons maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
For topping (optional):
- Crushed candy canes
- Coconut whipped cream or Cocowhip
*Raw cacao butter can typically be found in the baking aisle. Feel free to substitute 1-2 tablespoons of white chocolate chips and omit the maple syrup.